For his paper “Bubble Growth from First Principles”, Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(8), p. 1560 by C. Saengow, A.J. Giacomin, X. Wu, C. Kolitawong, C. Aumnate, A. W. Mix.
Born in June 6, 1988 in Nonthaburi, Chaimongkol Saengow completed pre-engineering school at King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB), where he then earned his Bachelor’s degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering. Chai’s grandparents migrated from southern China to Nonthaburi, where his parents founded a spice shop. Chai has two older brothers. The younger, Chaiwat, practices medicine in Bangkok, and the older, Sirichai, founded a water-bottling factory in Nonthaburi. Chai is the first engineer in his ancestry.
Saengow completed two doctoral degrees, one in chemical engineering at Queen’s University, and the other at his alma mater in mechanical and aerospace engineering. Both theses were co-supervised by Alan Jeffrey Giacomin at Queen’s, and by Chanyut Kolitawong at KMUTNB. Chai’s doctoral research on fluid elasticity led him to contemplate other flow problems, including those used in the laboratory for measuring the properties of sticky gooey fluids, like polymer melts. He tackled the most popular laboratory experiment, oscillatory shear, where fluid molecules are jiggled back and forth. Chai focused on oscillatory shear performed at large amplitudes, where the molecules are grossly distorted from their shapes at rest. Chai arrived at the first exact mathematical equations for interpreting the stresses associated with these gross distortions in large-amplitude oscillatory shear.
Chai is pursuing his postdoctoral studies at Queen’s on polymer processing and on the physics of polymeric liquids. He is working towards an engineering professorship.
The other 5 papers that were eligible candidates for the Can. J. Chem. Eng. Best Graduate Student Paper Award were:
- F. Bashtani, S. Kryuchkov, J. Bryan, B. Maini, A. Kantzas, "Random Network Modelling Approach to Investigate the Single-Phase and Quasi-Static Immiscible Two-Phase Flow Properties in the Mesaverde Formation," Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(11), 2091.
- Kazemzadeh F. Ein-Mozaffari, A. Lohi, L. Pakzad, "Effect of the Rheological Properties on the Mixing of Herschel-Bulkley Fluids with the Coaxial Mixers: Applications of Tomography, CFD, and Response Surface Methodology," Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(12), 2394.
- S. A. Kedzior, L. Graham, C. Moorlag, B. M. Dooley, E. D. Cranston, "Poly(methyl methacrylate)-Grafted Cellulose Nanocrystals: One-Step Synthesis, Nanocomposite Preparation and Characterization," Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(5), 811.
- G. Matte-Deschenes, D. Vidal, F. Bertrand, R. E. Hayes, "Numerical Investigation of the Impact of Thermophoresis on the Capture Efficiency of Diesel Particulate Filters," Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(2), 291.
- N. Mitra Ray, A. K. Ray, "Modelling, Simulation and Experimental Study of a Simulated Moving Bed Reactor for the Synthesis of Biodiesel," Can. J. Chem. Eng. 2016, 94(5), 913.